THE STORY OF THE CANDY CANE


     
 











A candy maker in Indiana wanted to make some candy that would be a witness of Jesus Christ. He made the Christmas Candy Cane. He included several symbols for the birth, ministry, and death of Jesus Christ. 

To symbolize the Virgin Birth and Sinless nature of Jesus he started with a stick of pure white candy, hard to symbolize the Solid Rock, the foundation of the Church, and the firmness of the promises of God.

He made the candy in the shape of a "J", the first initial of the precious name of Jesus, who came as our Saviour. It may also represent the staff of our "Good Shepherd" with which He reaches down into the ditches of this world to lift up the fallen lambs who, like all sheep, have gone astray.

The candy maker stained it with three small red stripes to show the scourging Jesus received by which we are healed. The large red stripe is for the blood shed by Christ on the cross, by which we may receive the promise of eternal life.

Unfortunately, this candy has become known as a Candy Cane -- a meaningless decoration at Christmas time. But the real meaning is still there for those with "eyes to see and ears to hear".

I pray that this symbol will once again be used as witness to "The Wonder and Glory of the One True Saviour, The Lord, Jesus Christ."











 

5 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

I love the Story of the Candy Cane, Karin. In fact, I just added some candy canes to my little Christmas tree which sits on the front porch. I'll post pictures of it sometime. The little tree has lights, red bows and candy canes.

Thanks for the great story.
Hugs,
Betsy

C. JoyBell C. said...

Wow Karin. I didn't even know all of that! If not for you, I probably never would have! Thank you so much for sharing this! And I will share this with my family at home, as well! :) I will never again see the Candy Cane in the same light! :)

I want to thank you for all your support of my writings, thank you for your sweetness, thank you for your sweet comments you leave on my writings, and thank you for your visits! I appreciate you. :)

Bernie said...

I have read the story of the Candy Cane before and I can never read it enough....such a beautiful story and I have never looked at a Candy Cane without thinking of my saviour....thank you Karin for sharing it with me all of us.
......:-) Hugs

Betty W said...

That was interesting. I never knew that! Thanks for sharing the story!

George said...

I've heard this history before, but it is good that you are sharing it with those who might not have heard it. I agree it's a shame that this came to be known as a candy cane.