TAGGED!

Erna Laser, Volunteer, selling hand crafted items every Saturday!

Here are the instructions:


1. Open the fourth picture folder on your computer
2. Open the fourth picture in the folder and post it on your blog

3. Explain the picture

4. Tag four people to do the same


Those were the instructions given by Laura at the McMahon Manifesto. I usually try to read and obey instructions, but today I'm going to break all the rules! I don't own a camera and therefore don't take my own photos. I honestly don't have my pictures organized properly ~ still trying to figure out how to do that on my MacBook Air. Then I do have pictures on my laptop that I would first need to get authorization to publish by the people in the picture.

So I made an executive decision to feature this photo
and if you happen to be reading this,
consider yourself TAGGED!


For the last 64+ years this woman has been my mom! She is 89+ years old now and for the past 3+ years has been living in the nursing home where I work! In November it was 10 years that she has been a widow. My parents lived in the Manor next to the care centre since 1984, I think. Both parents volunteered - faithfully - for years - to porter residents to therapy, to lead Bible Study, to prepare spring gardens, to care for our pet rabbits, to provide security checks around the building, to feed residents, to do plant care in the solarium, the lead German Gemuetliche Stunde, to sing duets, to visit the lonely, to pray with those needing care, to encourage the down-hearted and to admonish any slacker! After dad died mother continued volunteering with her focus on making hand crafted items and selling them every Saturday! She was able to do this until she moved into the Care Centre. You do the math!

What an example of taking initiative, of leadership, of willing servant hearted ministry, of obeying God, of endurance and making a huge difference in the lives of residents, their families and staff. During all those years she was my best volunteer and always had the most hours. I think her total was way over 25,000 hrs. The Lord will reward what she has done unto the least of these His children! Thanks Mom!


We've all just spent some precious hours with her over this Christmastime, spreading out the visits, so as to not over-stimulate by having too many people at once and possibly tiring her out. Today her favorite pastor volunteered and brought a simple, yet powerful message to our German speaking residents and she again told me how much that meant to her! He is someone who listens, who encourages, who brings a smile and warm laughter, shakes her hand gently, gets down to her eye-level and above all shares the Word of God. No wonder she always wants to know when he and his wife are coming again!! A special THANK-YOU to all who have a heart for seniors and volunteer so faithfully in long-term care centers!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sounds like a wonderful woman. Thank you for sharing her with us! :)

Thank you also for stopping by my blog. It was a pleasure to hear from you and hope you will return again!

McMahon Manifesto said...

Thanks for sharing. What a wonderful blessing from God to have a mom like yours!