DIGGING DEEPER, GROWING STRONGER





“Read your Bible, pray everyday ….and you’ll grow,” was a little action chorus I memorized as a child. As a mother, I taught it to my children, who have taught it to theirs. Reading the Bible with my husband for our morning devotions or alone in my personal quiet time has become a holy habit, a delightful discipline, a time of daily refreshing.

The older I get the greater is my desire to read, be taught, learn, understand and talk about the Scriptures. That was not always the case. While I’ve held the Word of God in high esteem since I was saved as a young girl, there were many times when I did not make reading it faithfully a priority. I allowed other time pressures to encroach; especially during the years of raising the little ones, having foster children, holding down a job and all kinds of church involvement. Discussions at home or at church about the Bible were enough, I reasoned. Over time my casual attitude left me parched however, and I asked the Lord to restore my thirst for His Word. Thankfully He answered!

My deepest desire and fervent prayer is that the Word of God, illuminated through the power of His Holy Spirit, would bring about firstly, a revival and renewal among all of us who are new creations in Christ, starting with me. Then secondly, as we go and tell others, that there would come a great awakening among those not yet saved, especially in our nation of Canada. In Nehemiah 8:1-3 it says, “All the people assembled as one man in the square before the Water Gate. They told Ezra the scribe to bring out the Book of the Law of Moses, which the Lord had commanded for Israel. So on the first day of the seventh month Ezra the priest brought the Law before the assembly, which was made up of men and women and all who were able to understand. He read it aloud from daybreak till noon as he faced the square before the Water Gate in the presence of the men, women and others who could understand. And all the people listened attentively to the Book of the Law.”

Imagine, from daybreak until noon! What an appreciation of the Word the people must have had after many years of neglect. No one forced their attendance; they wanted to hear! I’d love to have an evening service focused just on reading the Word of God aloud, in its various translations and paraphrases; simply having it proclaimed by various members and allowing the Holy Spirit to teach us one verse or one chapter after another. Intersperse that with the singing of Scripture and you’ve got a spiritual banquet feast for the soul!

As the Body of Christ we need to make the Word of God, the message of the good news of Jesus Christ, central in our lives. It talks to us about what ails us personally and as a society! We find that we're not alone in the deepest traumas of life! None of the other books, however helpful, fascinating, entertaining and encouraging they may be, can or should ever take the place of God’s Word in our lives. A passionate desire to understand His Word will bring about revival and renewal in our own hearts, and make us a refreshing river to others. Let us be forever grateful that we have His Word! Let’s respond with a willing heart to what we have read, and let us obediently do what it says! Then we will certainly become more effective in our service for HIM. Keep digging deeper and growing stronger!
....





23 comments:

Unknown said...

Amen! I know so much of what you are saying here and feel the same way. I hope you have a blessed Lord's day today :)

Unknown said...

P.S. Since we seem of like minds; I was just wondering how you came upon my blog. I am so happy that you did so I can read yours :)

Karin said...

Hi Marlene, I was just browsing the 'next' blogs, came across yours and decided to comment! That's it - that's all, lol!

Evi said...

Thanks Mom! I was just discussing the same think with Tim yesterday...how I've been thirsty to read some of the old stories again in light of my new life experiences and perspectives. That's the beauty of God's Word, I find, that you can reference the same passage a 'gazzilion' times and it may just bring a fresh perspective EACH and EVERY time. Love that about HIM.

Unknown said...

Wonderful words there Karin. Hope you and family have had a blessed Sunday. We have.
QMM

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

Tow years ago, my friend's grand daughter died, she was 2. Yesterday, her adult daughter died,

I pray that the Bible words would comfort her.

Anonymous said...

A very thought-provoking post Karin. When I found my grandma's Bible recently, I just imagined all the times she held/read that Bible and the comfort it provided her.

Doris Sturm said...

Hallo Karin,

Ich wollte nur mal kurz hallo sagen und freue mich ueber Deinen Besuch an meinem Blog. Die cupkaces sind bestimmt kein Lent Essen, aber die waeren huebsch fuer Ostern.

Alles Gute,
Doris

Hootin Anni said...

I grew up with a very devout mom. She read from the Bible nightly...she was my inspiration. And I still have her very worn Bible with me after she passed on.


Today's post Link: Sand Dollars and Sea Drift Seeds

Thanks for stopping by yesterday... have a glorious day!!

Warren Baldwin said...

There is simply no substitute for planting ourselves deeply in the Word. And feeding it with prayer. Great post.

Anonymous said...

"A spiritual banquet feast for the soul." I love that Karin! How blessed we are when we cherish His Word! Thanks for this wonderful reminder!

Angie said...

Amen!! I would LOVE to be in a service of Scripture reading and song. That would be amazing, I'm sure.

I came across your blog from your comment on Marilyn's. Looking forward to returning again.

Unknown said...

It was meant to be!!

George said...

Thank you for reminding us of the need to be firmly grounded in the Word.

Shug said...

Amen Karin....
We are a Blessed people to have the freedom to read and study the word of God. HIS word feeds my soul and I am so thankful that my children are grounded in HIS word as well...
You Bless my heart every single day.
Shug

pam said...

I have never walked away from God but I've had seasons where reading the Word seemed so dry. I knew that was not truth but I had to keep on pressing in till it came alive again. To hunger more for Him than anything else is my prayer. I like your idea of a service of reading His Words aloud....speaking life to one another.

Karin I was looking back through your posts for one I thought you had written about being a friend...or something like that. I couldn't find it....any thoughts?

Judy said...

We need to be reminded on occasion to put aside the other books...and 'soak' in God's word. Thanks, Karin.

Marg said...

I love that photo...it is so descriptive..we need to continue in the word, regardless of the seasons in our lives...we need to keep trusting that God is Sovereign and understand and knows all that is going on in our world.

Tonya said...

Such a wounderful post thank you for sharing. It too know in my own heart that I need to spend more time in the Word. It's the Word that allows us to grow in the Lord and in wisdom. I'm new to your blog and I'm really enjoying reading your post. Blessings to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Great post :-) The word of God is powerful.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

Take care Karin and have a great day :-)

~Ron
*******

Ginny Hartzler said...

Amen to all of this!!!

Sandy said...

"The older I get the greater is my desire to read, be taught, learn, understand and talk about the Scriptures." I find this to be so true for myself, too, Karin. I still get lax at times, but I notice the difference much sooner and the stronger desire pulls me back much quicker than it used to. My morning time is my best "study" time. And your writings have been such an encouraging help. Thank you!

Linda said...

I treasure my devotions times with hubby everyday. We learn new stuff everytime!

You are a great encourager!

Keep writing posts like this!

Love, Linda