THE QUOTABLE CHESTERTON - BOOK REVIEW



When preparing for a speech, a talk or a sermon, one almost always looks for a striking quote, a meaningful word of wisdom, or an amusing anecdote. When you have a huge collection of such from a literary giant of his age, you have this book – The Quotable Chesterton by Kevin Belmonte. The Wit and Wisdom of G.K. Chesterton is a handy 284 page paper-back resource. “With much of his finest material out of print or hard to find, modern readers have long needed a standard collection of his best thoughts. Kevin Belmonte’s The Quotable Chesterton brings them to you arranged alphabetically by topic, with complete original source documentation.” Thank you Kevin Belmonte!! If this is your first time reading Chesterton, this book may get you started on reading more.

Just to pick a few quotes:

“I have a simple, melodramatic mind; there is nothing lofty or peace-loving about me; and I thoroughly enjoy seeing people knocked down on the stage. I should have no objection to seeing them knocked down in real life, if the people were wisely and thoughtfully selected.”

“His pathos was natural, almost casual. The Stoics, ancient and modern, were proud, proud of concealing their tears. Christ never concealed His tears’ He showed them plainly on His open face at any daily sight, such as the far sight of His native city.”

“The telescope makes the world smaller; it is only the microscope that makes it larger. Before long the world will be cloven with a war between the telescopists and microscopists. The first study large things and live in a small world; the second study small things and live in a large world."

“Of a sane man there is only one safe definition. He is a man who can have tragedy in his heart and comedy in his head.”

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”

My favorite is the still his answer to the NYTimes question: “What’s wrong with the World?” His answer was profound.

Dear Sirs,
I am.
Sincerely yours,
G. K. Chesterton




I’ve really enjoyed reading and using this fine book and can heartily recommend it. Thank you Thomas Nelson Publishers for a free copy to review it.

8 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Looks wonderful, Karin... you could take one quote at a time ---and it would promote a good discussion...

I love that last one also.. We humans ARE what is wrong with the world...

Hope you are feeling better this afternoon.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ginny Hartzler said...

Is every quote in the book by Chesterton? Why was he not really famous, like ...Will Rogers? Who was he, and how could he have said so many notable things?

George said...

Thanks for the review. This sounds as if would be a great source book. I definitely liked the quotes you gave us.

Glenda said...

I really enjoyed the quotes you posted and would love the book, I'm sure! The one about Christ's tears is especially meaningful.

Velvet Over Steel said...

Sounds like a Great book, Karin! & we all know How I Love qoutes!! :-) I just put in on my list.

Hope you're having a Wonderful & Warm weekend!!
Hugs,
Coreen xoxoxo

Unknown said...

Chesterton, definitely one of my favorites. I watch old videos of him on the WJIE Catholic TV station. If you would like to check out the Sketchbook Challenge just come to my blog and check on the button on my sidebar. It started Jan 1st, but each month there is a new theme. It will tell you how to post your sketches on Flickr and just one must be marked with the monthly code to be eligible for an art supply prize that is a random drawing. Never too late to jump in.
QMM

Kimberly Pitman said...

Personally, my favorite is the one that says fallacies are still fallacies even if they become fashionable. (Okay, I can't see teh quote itself at the moment so I might've quoted the quote incorrectly. :) )

Lady Dorothy said...

What a great resource! I've put it on my wish list and am thinking it would make a great gift for my daughter who is always reading Chesterton. Thank you for sharing it!