A STRONG TOWER


sorry, don't know the name of the castle.


Father, I want to thank you for the one who rebukes me;
The one whose subtle digs, stabs and comments
Often elicit a defensive position in my spirit.
In my utterly depraved nature -
In my bent to sinning -
I want to react fiercely and respond with
Defiance
Pride
Rebellion
Disobedience
Anger
Bitterness
Arrogance
Hate
Resentment
Self-pity
Jealousy.
As these all take turns mounting a spiritual attack.
I realize that my desire to respond a certain way,
Is not a reflection on the other person,
But rather brings to the surface my inner struggles.
Father, I am a new creation, however!
I see these attacks as part of my maturing process,
As occasions allowed by You to test, try and teach me.

I no longer hide in fear 
behind the trees and in the bushes!
I have my armor on!
I firmly stand my ground,
And with the power of Your Holy Spirit vested in me,
as a Child of God,
the Daughter of the King of Kings,
I boldly declare,
“Get thee behind me Satan.”
To my delight
I watch the evil slink away, defeated!
With boldness, unafraid, I declare Your truth!
You fill my heart with love, joy, and peace.
With Your Presence
behind me,
within me,
around me,
beneath me,
How could we lose?
You’ve got me covered.
You are my strong tower!
In You I am safe!


Karin Ristau


3 comments:

George said...

This is absolutely beautiful. You've done a wonderful job of contrasting the human way we usually react with the way we could react if we took refuge in that strong tower.

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Great post, Karin. We do need to hang onto God as our strong tower.. That will help us get rid of things like anger, bitterness, hate, self-pity, jealousy, etc.

Thanks!
Hugs,
Betsy

Anneliese said...

Wow... this poem says a lot about our struggle and the need to put on the whole armor of God. I like how you said, "I realize that my desire to respond a certain way,
Is not a reflection on the other person,But rather brings to the surface my inner struggles ..."
So true. Keep writing.