HEAVENLY MINDED - EARTHLY GOOD


Let me be so heavenly minded
That I am more earthly good.
Let me focus my eyes first on Jesus,
And then do the things that I should.

Let me serve You, my Lord, not out of duty,
Rather cultivate healthy habits of heart.
Let the fruit of the Spirit be seen in me daily
Might I have the courage to do my part.

Let me see with your tender eyes, my Lord
That there are deep needs in everyone's life.
For if Christ is living within me
I will love others as I do myself.

Let me have ears that listen, my Lord,
Hearing the things they do not say.
Encouraging, comforting, bringing new hope
To weary pilgrims along their way.

Let my hands, be your gentle hands, my God,
With caring touch, blessing a body today,
In tenderness stroking a loved one's cheek or
Folding my hands with someone as we pray.

Let my feet walk where your feet have walked,
Showing true kindness to all those in need.
Going where I have not dared go before,
To bring the Good News in word and in deed.

Let my life make a difference to somebody else
Because I belong to you!
Let your compassion, your love,
show through me,
In everything that I think, say and do.

Karin Ristau




7 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Hi Karin, My best friend was talking about a woman in her church who couldn't get along with anyone. Judy (my friend) decided to be-friend this woman since nobody else would. After getting to know her, Judy said that the woman is a great listener--and that she (Judy) really liked her--after getting to know her. We all have our good qualities --and listening to others is a gift.

Great poem, my friend...

Have a wonderful Memorial Day weekend.
Hugs,
Betsy

Ruth's Photo Blog said...

THanks for sharing this meaningful poem.
Blessings,Ruth

C. JoyBell C. said...

"not out of duty,
Rather cultivate healthy habits of heart." ...true! not by works but by grace! :))

Laurie M. said...

"Let my hands, be your gentle hands, my God,
With caring touch, blessing a body today,
In tenderness stroking a loved one's cheek or
Folding my hands with someone as we pray."

I likely don't touch people enough. I was brought up to be undemonstrative, and still probably hold back when I should not. Thanks for these words of encouragement.

Lovely poem, by the way. Poetry is not a gift of mine. I'm glad, though, that God gave it to others for me to enjoy.

George said...

What a wonderful poem. I've often heard the saying "He's so heavenly minded that he's no earthly good", but I like your idea much better.

Warren Baldwin said...

As always, good post.

Karin said...

Thank you everyone for stopping by for a visit and giving a word of encouragement! Bless you! God is good!