MY DECLARATION OF DEPENDENCE




I had been wronged and mistreated,
I had been shamed and rejected
There was bitterness threatening to throttle my soul.
I’ve been sad and lonely; feeling discouraged.
Is there no escape? Is there no one who cares?
I felt I’d been dropped down a bottomless hole.
Yet, hidden away where only God sees,
In the intimate depths of my heart
I had never lost sight of His Almighty Hand!
HE brought me down, so I would look up!
He did something new and exciting!
He took all my crutches so I’d learn to stand!
I confessed all my sins, admitted my needs,
I was honest and humble, and in meekness down
On my knees, I declared my TOTAL DEPENDENCE on HIM.
My circumstances had stayed much the same,
But as I waited in patience for His leading,
I realized it’s me who had been changed from within.
God is gracious to all; His wings give safe refuge!
O taste and see that the Lord is good!
Exalting His Name, my heart soars and sings!
Faith and love became stronger, driving out fear;
Hope more steadfast, unwavering and sure!
I rejoice in the freedom this dependence now brings.

Karin Ristau©

19 comments:

Betsy Banks Adams said...

Excellent, Karin.... IF everyone just realized how much God can help us --and take away all of our pain and suffering.... We truly are 'independent' if we have God in our hearts.
Hugs,
Betsy

Anonymous said...

Wonderful, Karin. AMEN!

Ginny Hartzler said...

Love this, especially the part about learning to stand without crutches, and changing from within. Hope you are having a great weekend!

Shug said...

I was waiting Karin...I knew you would have another beautiful poem and these words are so perfect...
Bless you and Bless the gift that God has given you...
Shug

Anonymous said...

Hi Karen. This is lovely. We are to be dependent on God all the time - so not popular.
God bless
Tracy

George said...

This is positively beautiful (and profound). What a different world this would be if we all made this Declaration of Dependence.

Doris Sturm said...

Great poem, Karin, as always - Happy Dependence Day on God and also happy 4th of July - have a wonderful day!

Unknown said...

I love the part of faith and love getting stronger and driving out fear. Beautiful poem.

Valerie said...

Karin you have such a way with words! Such a great post to make each one of us take a deep look into our own lives and realize we have no control .. He has it all.
And who better to be in control than the creator!!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

your poems are always excellent. Have you thought of publishing them?

Kate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Sandy said...

Wonderful!

Bernie said...

This is one of your best Karin, I love it and believe every word.
......:-)Hugs

Glenda said...

. . . and I say, "AMEN!" We're never so free as when we totally depend on Him!

Velvet Over Steel said...

Wonderful, Karin!! Perfect as usual.. your poems/post always impress me and move me! Hope you had a Great weekend!
Hugs,
Coreen XOXO

Anonymous said...

Ladylike Post. This record helped me in my college assignment. Thnaks Alot

Hootin Anni said...

Today of all days, this was a strong message. And, I thank you for it. It will help my healing process for the loss we've shared with my daughter and grandsons.

Marsha Young said...

Karin,
The "freedom of dependence" - well said.

Sometimes our desire for independence leads us to stray from the very One who can help us most.

good post! ...Marsha

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

what flag is that?

God gives freedom, Amen.